HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE UNIVERSITY HIGH SCHOOL bAND WEBSITE!
We look forward to your arrival at Uni, and we’re excited that you are interested in joining our program!
Eigth Graders/Transfer Students
If you are an eighth grader or transfer student interested in joining the band program, we have a place for you. If you are planning on being a part of band for the 2016 - 2017 year’s program, you MUST fill out the google form by clicking HERE - Uni Band Sign-Ups 2018 - 2019
. This will reserve your spot in the band program and will allow us to communicate with you about upcoming events and requirements. This does not, however, sign you up for the class with the school; please tell your counselor that would like to sign up for Concert Band. This will serve as a place holder until we have selected the proper ensemble for you.
General Information Packet Download
All skill levels are welcome.
There is a place for everyone! Even if you’ve never played a band instrument, you can still join. An audition is only required if you would like to be considered for one of our higher ensembles. Visit the downloads section of this website for audition music (Downloads
If you go to Rancho San Joaquin, South Lake, or Vista Verde Middle Schools, Mr. Heddon will come to your class to do the audition. Check with your director about the date that has been arranged. If you go to another school, please email Mr. Heddon (
) to schedule an audition.
Students who are interested in taking a band class may do so without causing conflicts with their required course load by taking a zero-period class. This zero period begins at 7:00 am instead of 8:00 am and frees up an additional period that students may use to take a band class in the middle of the day. This option is only offered to arts students, as well as a few other student service classes.
Check out our "Ensembles" tab for details about all of our ensembles, from Concert to Color Guard!!
Joining Marching Band
We highly encourage students who are in a band class to also consider being a part of our award winning marching band, the UHS Marching Trojan Regiment. Marching band takes place during zero period and Wednesdays shortly after school and covers the P.E. requirement. If you would also like to be a part of a fall sport, speak to your counselor and we can help make arrangements for you.
If you are having issues with your schedule or don’t know how band will fit into your schedule, please stay in contact with the directors and counselors. We want to help you in any possible way. Our goal is for you to have the best possible high school experience, which will set the stage for success beyond high school. Good luck, and we hope to hear from you soon!
HOW TO JOIN
If you are interested in joining one of the band classes at Uni:
- - Sign up for Band through the music program by clicking HERE - Uni Band Sign-Ups 2018 - 2019
- - Register for Concert Band with your school counselor. Make sure to have a family conversation about joining the music program before the day of sign-ups. Exceptions may be made for students enrolled in an orchestra class. If you are currently enrolled in an orchestra class and wish to enroll in marching band, please fill out the registration form.
- - Prepare your audition material if you would like to audition for a higher ensemble than the Concert Band. If you go to Rancho San Joaquin, South Lake, or Vista Verde Middle Schools, Mr. Heddon will come to your class to do the audition. Check with your director about the date that has been arranged. If you go to another school, auditions will take place on Thursday, April 28th between 3:30 and 4:30 – please email to reserve a time. Audition music can be found in the download section of this website or by clicking here.
If you would like to also be a part of the marching band:
- - Check the Band Camp Dates! Band camp is the two week period during the summer that we prepare our field show before school starts. Missing band camp may make it hard for you to join the marching band, depending on the circumstances. Please email Mr. Heddon if you’re going to miss any portion of band camp to see if you’re still eligible.
- - Sign up for both Concert Band and Marching Band with your middle school counselor (unless, of course, you are an orchestra student). Make sure to have a family conversation about joining the music program before the day of sign-ups.
- - Send in your Band Camp form and donation immediately to confirm your spot in the marching band. The forms that you will need to fill out can be found in the download section of this website (here)
If you need to reach us, or have any questions regarding scheduling or the band program, feel free to contact us through either email or direct mail.
University High School Instrumental Music
4771 Campus Drive
Irvine, CA 92612
Corey Heddon, Instrumental Music Director & Band Director:
Band Aides (Band Booster Parents):