HELLO, AND WELCOME TO THE UNIVERSITY HIGH SCHOOL MARCHING TROJAN REGIMENT’S WEBSITE!
We look forward to your arrival at Uni, and we’re excited that you are interested in joining our program!
If you are an eighth grader or transfer student interested in joining the band program, we have a place for you. If you are planning on being a part of band for the 2016 - 2017 year’s program, you MUST fill out the google form by clicking HERE - Uni Band Sign-Ups 2017 - 2018
. This will reserve your spot in the band program and will allow us to communicate with you about upcoming events and requirements. This does not, however, sign you up for the class with the school; please tell your counselor that would like to sign up for Concert Band. This will serve as a place holder until we have selected the proper ensemble for you.
All skill levels are welcome.
There is a place for everyone! Even if you’ve never played a band instrument, you can still join. An audition is only required if you would like to be considered for one of our higher ensembles. If you do not audition you will be begin your music education at Uni in the Concert Band. Visit the downloads section of this website for audition music (Downloads
). If you go to Rancho San Joaquin, South Lake, or Vista Verde Middle Schools, Mr. Heddon will come to your class to do the audition. Check with your director about the date that has been arranged. If you go to another school, auditions will take place on Thursday, April 28th
between 3:30 and 4:30 – please email to reserve a time.
Students who are interested in taking a band class may do so without causing conflicts with their required course load by taking a zero-period class. This zero-period begins at 7:00 am instead of 8:00 am and frees up an additional period that students may use to take a band class in the middle of the day. This option is only offered to arts students, as well as a few other student service classes.
Although it is not required, we highly encourage students who are in a band class to also consider being a part of our award winning marching band, the University High School Marching Trojan Regiment. Marching band takes place during sixth period and a little bit after school and covers the P.E. requirement, which means you won’t have to take P.E. during the day. Unfortunately, fall sports also take place at this time, so students cannot be members of both a fall sport and marching band. However, as long as you take a zero-period class, you can participate in a fall sport and also be a member of a band class during the day. Winter and spring sports are not affected by marching band, so students are free to take both marching band and a winter or spring sport without conflict.
If you are having issues with your schedule or don’t know how band will fit into your schedule, please stay in contact with the directors and counselors. We want to help you in any possible way. Our goal is for you to have the best possible high school experience, which will set the stage for success beyond high school. Good luck, and we hope to hear from you soon!
Course Offerings At Uni
HOW TO JOIN:
If you are interested in joining one of the band classes at Uni:
- Sign up for Band through the music program by clicking HERE - Uni Band Sign-Ups 2017 - 2018
- Register for Concert Band with your school counselor. Make sure to have a family conversation about joining the music program before the day of sign-ups.
- Prepare your audition material if you would like to audition for a higher ensemble than the Concert Band. If you go to Rancho San Joaquin, South Lake, or Vista Verde Middle Schools, Mr. Heddon will come to your class to do the audition. Check with your director about the date that has been arranged. If you go to another school, auditions will take place on Thursday, April 28th between 3:30 and 4:30 – please email to reserve a time. Audition music can be found in the download section of this website or by clicking here.
If you would like to also be a part of the marching band:
- Check the Band Camp Dates! Band camp is the two week period during the summer that we prepare our field show before school starts. The dates are August 8th – 12th and 15th – 19th. Missing band camp may make it impossible for you to join the marching band, depending on the circumstances. Please email Mr. Heddon if you’re going to miss any portion of band camp to see if you’re still eligible.
- Sign up for both Concert Band and Marching Band with your middle school counselor. Make sure to have a family conversation about joining the music program before the day of sign-ups.
- Send in your Band Camp form and donation immediately to confirm your spot in the marching band. The forms that you will need to fill out can be found in the download section of this website (here)
- Attend the University High School Marching Trojan Regiment Future Freshmen Day on Thursday, May 19th from 3:30- 5:00 p.m. in Room 601 at Uni. Come get the get the scoop on what it takes to be an awesome member of The Regiment. You do not need to bring your instrument to this event. Come meet your student leaders for next year and enjoy ice cream!
If you need to reach us, or have any questions regarding scheduling or the band program, feel free to contact us through either email or direct mail.
University High School Instrumental Music
4771 Campus Drive
Irvine, CA 92612
Corey Heddon, Instrumental Music Director & Band Director:
Band Aides (Band Booster Parents):